This post is continuation of my previous post on search optimisation available at https://www.infidigit.com/blog/how-should-we-seo-optimize-our-site-part-1/
1. Heading tags are important to highlight the content of the page. However do use them sparingly. Too many H1 & H2 are not recommended.
<h1>Header 1 Tag</h1>
<h2>Header 2 Tag</h2>
2. The structure of your website & its URL is important. Do think of the URL with a horizon of few years of content. Using of folders in the URL is recommended. You can use the date of posting or category of the product as the folder name.
3. Images are an important part of the website. However, there is also a possibility that in the quest to upload good quality images you miss on the image size. Do check the size of the images. There is no standard for the size of the image. However, with an image size of 10 kb, you should be able to display a good image.
4. If required provide a separate option to view high-resolution image. The size of these could be from 20 kb to 120 kb, based on your resolution requirement
5. Try to host the images on your domain is possible. This will provide some SEO benefits.
6. Do specify an alt tag on the images. This would be displayed on the image when you hover on it.
<img src=”/image_of_me_468x60.png” alt=”My Photograph” />
7. The URL of content pages and the image URLs are important. Do make them as descriptive as possible.
8. Users connect to a website via multiple devices and the screen resolution of all these devices is different. So use responsive design (page adjusts to the screen resolution) to ensure that the URL of the page remains the same even if accessed from a laptop or a mobile.
9. Register your site on Google Webmaster Tools to avail the free tools available to monitor the site.
10. Register for Google Analytics to get better insights on the visitors who visit the site. I will write more on Google analytics in a separate post.
These two posts cover the basics of Search Engine Optimisation. Happy reading. In case you have any queries please post your questions in the comments section below.