It has been over a decade since Myntra has been making India fashion-ready. As India’s largest e-commerce store for fashion and lifestyle products, Myntra is home to over 500 leading Indian and international brands in apparel and accessories.
Having witnessed a humongous growth since its inception, Myntra saw an opportunity to enhance its already impressive ROI further. In the process, the brand streamlined various digital marketing channels to achieve this goal.
Shedding light on the processes initiated via SEO, Myntra had its objectives clearly defined. Here’s where a team of SEO specialists stepped in to tackle these objectives with a layered approach.
The primary objective for Myntra was to enhance its ROI. To achieve the same, the team divided its strategies into three niches – organic, social and paid search. Talking about the organic search campaign, the team had two central sub-objectives in mind. They were –
- Increase keyword ranking by 100% – When the number of keywords ranking increases, so does the number of users. A higher number of users eventually translates to more sessions on the platform.
- Increase share of voice in each category – Increasing market share in various categories is a major prerequisite to achieve improved share of voice. To do so, we had to tackle various niches together. This measure shall eventually pave the path for improved share of voice in each category.
Unoptimized content: The content present on the website was not optimized for featured snippets and lacked a uniform structure. Also, the content did not comprise of high search volume keywords
Contextual Linking: The website did not have a robust internal linking structure. Hence, the website lacked in passing authority from one page to another and could not rank higher for high competition keywords
Lack of Landing pages: The brand did not have requisite landing pages for many high-volume search keywords, which meant new pages had to be created as part of the microsite strategy. This involved time, resources, and a robust execution plan.
The sub-objectives of our campaign formed the core of our final strategy. Here is a glimpse into the work that went into every aspect of the strategy.
- Increase keyword ranking – By increasing the scale of keyword rankings, Myntra would secure higher visibility on organic search. Hence, the team began working on increasing the keyword database. Once done, all the targeted keywords for the website were split into microsites. This helped the team focus on each targeted keyword individually in a systematic manner.
- Optimising featured snippet – Featured snippet is a content rich snippet that appears as the first result on a Google search. Apart from featured snippets, there are many other prominent snippets such as knowledge graphs. The benefit of securing these snippets for targeted keywords is that they have been proven to have high CTR.
The innovation of this campaign lay in the sub-categories the team formed to achieve the target. Here is a brief look into what were those sub-categories and why were they formed, along with other measures?
- Optimizing Categories like a microsite – To ensure that each and every potential keyword is optimized, the concept of optimizing multiple landing pages in groups like microsites was introduced. This approach resulted in incredible improvement in rankings for relevant category keywords on organic searches. Also, Myntra’s website didn’t have requisite landing pages for many relevant keywords with high search volumes. Hence, based on the recommendations, new pages were created to help in further increasing the market share.
- Content Optimisation – After running a thorough analysis of the relationship between content and the featured snippet position, wide-scale content optimisation was initiated to ensure adherence to the findings. As part of the process, niche specific content style guides were created to ensure uniformity in content adherence. With numerous articles uploaded onto the websites on a regular basis, this content streamlining measure was a crucial step.
- Contextual Linking – In this process, we identified contextual linking opportunities across the platform. Following which, relevant links were targeted on various pages on the basis of user preference. For example, the page for ‘saree’ would feature links to different types of sarees and blouses in the footer.
As a result of the multi-layered strategy, Myntra witnessed a major jump in various aspects of its targeted keywords. This exponential growth in keyword performance led to both the aforementioned objectives being surpassed by a huge margin, increasing the ROI for the platform much beyond the targets. Here are some insights on the results of the campaign to provide perspective on the impact of the strategy :
- 10200+ keywords now rank on 1st position. (examples – sandals, shirts, handbags)
- 112% improvement in rank one position as compared to the start of the campaign
- More than 2000+ keywords now rank on featured snippet position
- Visits on targeted Keywords like make-up, dress design, kurta design, pathani kurta, and many more increased upto 25 times
- Share of Voice of Brand Category increased by 97%, while Kids Clothing increased by 82% and Home Decor increased by 57%
- Myntra’s share of voice is now 67% higher than its closest competitor, Amazon.
- Organic ROI resulted to 84 times better result than Paid ROI
With the above-mentioned results in effect, Myntra’s ROI via Organic Channels became 84 times greater as compared to ROI via Paid Search. Thus, making the layered approach to the campaign a massive success.
Ranking on 1st Position
Improvement in Rank One Position as Compared to the Start of the Campaign
Rank on Featured Snippet Position
Higher ROI from Organic Search as compared to